Legal Definition of Sustainable
The term ''sustainable agriculture'' (U.S.
Code Title 7, Section 3103) means an
integrated system of plant and animal production
practices having a site-specific application
that will over the long-term:
- Satisfy human food and fiber needs.
- Enhance environmental quality and the
natural resource base upon which the agriculture
- Make the most efficient use of nonrenewable
resources and on-farm resources and integrate,
where appropriate, natural biological cycles
- Sustain the economic viability of farm
- Enhance the quality of life for farmers
and society as a whole.
That definition is a central element of the legislation of the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program of NIFA.
Back to Sustainable Agriculture Home Page