NIFA-supported programs are turning research into action – bringing groundbreaking discoveries from research laboratories to farms, communities, and classrooms.
NIFA supports research, education, and extension activities through three primary funding mechanisms – competitive grants, formula grants, and non-competitive grants. Meeting agency mission and goals, our projects are engaged in finding innovative ways to:
- Meet the growing global food demand
- Fight hunger and food insecurity in vulnerable populations
- Develop regional systems for sustainable production of optimal biomass
- Help farmers and ranchers adapt to changing weather patterns
- Ensure that nutritious foods are available at affordable prices
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Enhance youth and family development
- Build energy independence
- Strengthen educational capacity to prepare the next generation of scientists, agricultural producers, and educators
- Restore and sustain natural resources supplies
- Ensure the health of delicate ecosystems
This content available in Spanish. Esta información disponible en Espanol.