The Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program (VMLRP) announces the opening of the fiscal year (FY) 2023 application cycle. NIFA anticipates that approximately $10 million in funding will be available in FY23 to help mitigate food animal veterinary service shortages in the United States. VMLRP helps qualified veterinarians offset a significant portion of the debt incurred in pursuit of their veterinary medical degrees in return for their service in certain high-priority veterinary shortage areas. VMLRP awardees commit to providing at least three years of food animal veterinary services in a designated veterinary shortage area in return for payments of up to $25,000 of student loan debt per year with a maximum of $75,000 for a three-year contract.
NIFA encourages interested applicants to view the informational webinars before starting the application process. Informational webinars are provided below.
- Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program Overview
- Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program Application Process for Program Documents
- Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program Application Process for Loan Documents
- Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program Review Process Webinar
- Choosing a Veterinary Shortage Situation Webinar