The Agriculture and Food Research Initiative solicits projects through Requests for Applications under Challenge Areas outside of the Foundational Program.
These Challenge Area grants are larger, typically over $1 million. The program generally focuses on integrated projects with multiple investigators or large teams where the research component is more applied. Challenge Area priorities often change markedly from year to year.
The following information describes in detail the various AFRI Challenge Areas:
- AFRI Childhood Obesity Prevention Challenge Area
- AFRI Food Safety Challenge Area
- AFRI Resilient Agroecosystems in a Changing Climate Challenge Area
- AFRI Sustainable Bioenergy Challenge Area
- AFRI Water for Food Production Systems Challenge Area