The Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program (GusNIP) brings together stakeholders from various parts of the food and healthcare systems. The Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program competitive grant programs are authorized under 7 U.S.C. 7517, for fiscal years 2019 through 2023 with mandatory growth in annual funding from $45 million to $56 million to be appropriated over 5 years.
The 2018 Farm Bill allows the Secretary to provide funding opportunities to conduct and evaluate projects providing incentives to income-eligible consumers to increase the purchase of fruits and vegetables and prescriptions for fresh fruits and vegetables. By bringing together stakeholders from various parts of the food and healthcare systems, GusNIP projects help foster understanding to improve the health and nutrition status of participating households, facilitate growth in underrepresented communities and geographies, as well as collect and aggregate data to identify and improve best practices on a broad scale.
GusNIP builds on the foundation of the Healthy Incentive Pilot (HIP) and the Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentives (FINI) grant program. Since it was established in 2019, GusNIP has provided over $270M in funding to 197 projects throughout the U.S.
GusNIP is one of NIFA’s key grant portfolios prioritizing nutrition security. USDA’s four pillar approach to nutrition security includes Pillar 1: Meaningful Support, Pillar 2: Healthy Food, Pillar 3: Collaborative Action, and Pillar 4: Equitable Systems. GusNIP contributes to all four pillars. USDA’s nutrition security efforts contribute to the National Strategy on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health through Integrating Nutrition and Health.
GusNIP Competitive Grant Programs
- The GusNIP NTAE’s Nutrition Incentive Hub provides free one-on-one support, as well as templates, checklists, webinars, and other resources, to all GusNIP grant
- Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program - Produce Prescription (GusNIP-PPR) include NTAE Nutrition Incentive Hub, templates, webinars, RFA and resources.
- The Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program (GusNIP) presents the opportunity to bring together stakeholders from various parts of the food and healthcare systems to foster understanding of how they might improve the health and nutrition status of participating households.
- GusNIP Listening Session
- GusNIP RFA Webinars
- GusNIP FAQs
- Core Metrics for Nutrition Incentive Projects
- Core Metrics for Produce Prescription Projects
- NTAE Technical Assistance Resources
- NTAE Reporting and Evaluation Resources
- Food and Nutrition Service SNAP State Directory of Resources
- Nutrition Security Team Page
- Nutrition Security Webinar Page
- USDA Nutrition Security Page
- USDA Meaningful Support
- USDA Healthy Food
- USDA Collaborative Action
- USDA Equitable Systems
- National Strategy on Hunger, Nutrition and Health
- USDA Invests More Than $59M to Improve Dietary Health and Nutrition Security
- USDA Invests Nearly $8M to Improve Dietary Health and Nutrition Security
- NIFA Invests $5.7M in American Rescue Plan Act GusNIP FY22 Produce Prescription Project Enhancement
- USDA NIFA Invests $40M to Improve Dietary Health and Reduce Food Insecurity
- USDA Announces Framework for Shoring Up the Food Supply Chain and Transforming the Food System to be Fairer, More Competitive, More Resilient
- GusNIP Projects Help Families Purchase Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Nutrition Security Webinar - GusNIP: Overview, Impacts & Opportunities
- Farmers Markets: Local Partners in the Nutrition Incentive Field
- USDA Invests $69 Million to Support Critical Food and Nutrition Security Needs
- USDA Invests More Than $330 Million in Specialty Crops Grants, Incentives to Purchase Fruits and Vegetables, and Help for Cotton Producers
Previously Funded Projects
- FY2019, FY2020, FY2021 & FY2022 GusNIP Nutrition Incentive Projects
- FY2019, FY2020, FY2021 & FY2022 GusNIP Produce Prescription Projects
- FY 2021 Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program COVID Relief and Response (GusCRR) Nutrition Incentive Projects
- FY 2021 Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program COVID Relief and Response (GusCRR) Produce Prescription Projects
- FY 2019 Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program (GusNIP) Nutrition Incentive Program Training, Technical Assistance, Evaluation and Information Center (NTAE)