Wednesday, September 28, 2022
Join NIFA as We Celebrate National 4-H Week October 2-8, 2022
U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has proclaimed October 2-8, 2022, as National 4-H Week! You can read and download the Proclamation on National 4-H Week, 2022 - United States Department of Agriculture.
4-H engages, enables and empowers more than 6 million young people every day, and this year’s annual 4-H Week is celebrating access and equity for all young people with a theme of #Opportunity4All. NIFA is celebrating all week long with a variety of events and social media campaigns.
Follow Us on Social Media
Throughout the week, NIFA will be amplifying 4-H stories from throughout the system and spotlighting our own 4-H staff members. Be sure to like and follow our pages and the 4-H Week hashtags.
• USDA NIFA on Twitter
• USDA NIFA on LinkedIn
• USDA on Facebook
• Hashtags #Opportunity4All and #4HWeek
Schedule of Events
• Sunday, October 2, 4-H Flag-raising at USDA Headquarters: The 4-H flag will be raised at the USDA Headquarters on Washington, D.C., and will fly all week long.
• Tuesday, October 4, 2:00-3:00pm EST, 4-H History Webinar: In collaboration with USDA's National Agricultural Library (NAL) Special Collections, NIFA will host a webinar on the history of 4-H. USDA's NAL Special Collections selects, preserves, describes and provides access to items of enduring historical value related to the history of agriculture. This includes materials related to the history of USDA and some of its affiliated groups, such as 4-H. In this talk, Sara Lee, Lead Librarian for NAL Special Collections, will highlight some of the library’s major collections and selected materials related to the history of 4-H. Join the Webinar
View the 4-H History at the USDA National Agricultural Library recording below.
• Friday, October 7, 9:00am-2:00pm EST, 4-H Day at the USDA Farmers Market: NIFA staff members will be joined by 4-Hers from Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland for 4-H Day at the USDA Farmers Market. Located outside the USDA Headquarters on the corner of Independence Avenue and 12th Street SW, we will have interactive activities and 4-H information available while you shop with farmers market vendors. 4-H alums, wear green!
• Friday, October 7, 2:00pm EST, Class of 2022 National 4-H Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony: In 2002, the National Association of Extension 4-H Youth Development Professionals, National 4-H Council and 4-H National Headquarters partnered to create the National 4-H Hall of Fame to recognize 4-H volunteers, Extension professionals, staff employees, donors and others who made a significant impact on the 4-H program and/or 4-H members through the contribution of time, energy, financial resources, etc. at the local, state or national level. Approximately 15 laureates are inducted annually. NIFA is pleased to share that Dr. Carol Benesh has been selected as this year’s inductee on behalf of the organization. Before her retirement in 2016, Dr. Benesh served as our National Program Leader for 4-H. Her journey in 4-H spanned almost three decades as a county 4-H educator (Idaho and Washington state), state 4-H specialist (Idaho and Montana) and state 4-H program leader (Nevada). The Ceremony will be broadcasted live at 2:00pm EST from Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University in Washington, DC. Watch the Induction Ceremony
Resource Type: Instructions