NIFA Nutrition Security Webinar Series: The Development of New Measures to Complement the U.S. Household Food Security Survey Module
On Tuesday, August 30 from 1 to 2 p.m. EDT, Dr. Eric Calloway will explain that while the definition of food security is holistic and nuanced, measurement has not traditionally been operationalized more fully. The USDA Household Food Security Survey Module (HFSSM) is the primary tool used to assess food security in the United States.
The HFSSM has pros and cons – like most measures. Key drawbacks from an intervention development or needs assessment perspective is that the HFSSM focuses on one facet of the food insecurity experience (e.g., financial access) and was not designed to provide practical information to inform programming. GSCN has developed a modular suite of measures that assess aspects of food insecurity that are not currently considered in the HFSSM. These measures include assessment of household resilience, the “other” three pillars of food insecurity (i.e., perceived availability, utilization, and stability), and nutrition security/dietary choice. This presentation will cover the development, testing, and potential uses of these new measures. The format will be a 45-minute overview of the measurement development, findings, and uses and an additional 15 minutes for questions and discussion.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to join the live session. If you have any questions or comments, please email LaRachelle Samuel-Smith at LaRachelle.Samuel-Smith@usda.gov.
Date/Time: Tuesday, August 30, 1:00 - 2:00 PM EDT (12:00 - 1:00 PM CDT)
NIFA stakeholders including academics, practitioners, and decision makers working to prioritize nutrition security. And any organization that seeks to help their clients get access to healthful food and/or eat in a healthier way, including hospitals and non-profits concerned with public nutrition.
Moderator: Mallory Koenings, PhD, RDN, National Program Leader, Division of Nutrition, Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition, National Institute of Food and Agriculture
Panelist: Eric Calloway, PhD, RDN, Research Scientist, Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition
Other Team Members
- Leah Carpenter, MPH, Associate Director of the Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition
- Tony Gargano, MPH, Team Engagement, and Internal Project Manager
- Julia Sharp, Associate Professor and Franklin A. Graybill Statistical Laboratory Director, Colorado State University
- Amy Yaroch, Executive Director of the Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition
- Matthew Browning, Public Affairs Specialists
- Danielle Farley, MS, NIFA Social Science Specialist, Division of Animal Systems, Institute of Food Production and Sustainability
- Sheila Fleischhacker, PhD, JD, RDN, NIFA National Science Liaison - Nutrition and Food Safety and NIFA Nutrition Security Team Co-Lead
- Amber Gellert, MA, NIFA Program Assistant, Division of Community and Education, Institute of Youth, Family, and Community
- Cassandra Huey, PhD, NIFA Program Specialist, Division of Community and Education, Institute of Youth, Family and Community and NIFA Nutrition Security Team Executive Coordinator
- Stephanie Morriss, PhD, NIFA Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition Date Analyst
- Faith Peppers, NIFA Director of Communications
- LaRachelle Samuel-Smith, PhD, NIFA Internal Communications Manager
The video recording, slide deck, and other resources will be provided on the series webpage after the live version and will be emailed to all registered webinar attendees.
Closed captioning is generally offered for our webinar series. If you need any additional reasonable accommodation to participate in this webinar, please contact Sheila Fleischhacker at Sheila.email@example.com or 816-266-7859 no later than Monday, August 29th at 5:00 pm ET. Language access services, such as interpretation or translation of vital information, could be provided free of charge to limited English proficient and those who require other reasonable accommodation upon request.