Through partnerships with universities, the private sector, and federal agencies, the division promotes programs that address national and international food security and sustainability challenges. Innovation takes place in classrooms, laboratories, fields, greenhouses, and communities throughout the nation at scales ranging from individual gene function to entire agricultural systems.
- Support organic farming methods and issues relating to organic certification and economics
- Support research systems-based processes to discover solutions to specialty crop production issues
- Encourage research and outreach designed to increase knowledge concerning sustainable agricultural production systems
- Catalyze advancements in plant breeding, data science, genetics, and genomics, including assessment bioengineering risks
- Conduct research on plant biological mechanisms to find solutions to drought and pest resistance and to increase nutritional value
For Director and National Program Leader (NPL) contacts by Institute and Division, please visit the NIFA Institutes page.
For NPL contacts by Program, please visit the NIFA National Program Leaders page.