Thursday, April 8, 2021
Welcome to the NIFA Virtual Panel Manager Orientation! Thank you for serving as a peer review Panel Manager. The training modules below should be completed prior to starting work with your program if possible. If you have any questions, please speak to the NIFA staff working on your program. NIFA may conduct group question and answer sessions and your National Program Leader will notify you if one is scheduled.
Required Training Modules
The following YouTube videos do not need to be viewed sequentially. (Total time: approximately 2 hours 45 minutes)
- Understanding Implicit Bias (31:01)
Bias can be a factor in panel functions, NIFA strives to minimize its impact on the review process.
- Overview of NIFA Competitive Programs (18:21)
General information about NIFA and its competitive grant programs.
- Overview of Integrated Programs (7:53)
General information about NIFA's integrated programs that combine education, extension, and/or research.
- Conflict of Interest Criteria, Confidentiality and Research Misconduct in the Review Process (26:30)
Specifics about how NIFA handles conflicts of interest, confidentiality, and research misconduct in the review process.
- Selection of Panelists and Ad Hoc Reviewers; Proposal Assignments (11:17)
Panel Manger tasks that are undertaken prior to the panel meeting.
- Explanation of Appointment, Role of the Panel Manager in the Panel Meeting, and Preparation of the Panel Manager Report (19:17)
After official appointment, Panel Managers are expected to do certain tasks during and after the panel meeting.
- Financial Arrangements for Travel (8:05)
An overview of important information regarding travel that Panel Managers must know.
- Overview of Virtual Panels (18:12)
Information and advice about virtual panels specific to NIFA's review process.
Please read through the following handouts. (Total time: approximately 15 minutes)
Required Only for Specific Programs
The following YouTube videos are only required if the topic applies to the program you are working with. (Total time: approximately 10 minutes for programs with COE review; approximately 30 minutes for AFRI programs)
- Review of Centers of Excellence Proposals (8:16)
Applicable only to programs that allow requests for Center of Excellence review.
- Review of AFRI FASE Proposals (19:04)
Applicable to all Agriculture and Food Research Initiative program area priorities.
If you have any feedback on the videos or training materials, please contact the AFRI Coordination Team.
Resource Type: Videos