Bill serves as Chief of Staff, supporting the Director and working closely with the NIFA leadership group to:
- Serve as a central point of contact and coordination for information requests;
- Strengthen and inform relationships with internal and external agencies, partners, stakeholders, and the public;
- Stay apprised of hot topics or action items/issues impacting NIFA, REE, and USDA;
- Serve as the NIFA liaison to the Office of Chief Scientist (OCS);
- Coordinate a number of high-level activities that cut across NIFA programs and functional lines;
- Manage strategic scheduling of meetings and travel for the NIFA Director; and
- Identify opportunities to provide information to department, mission, and agency leadership.
Bill came to the agency in 2002 and has served as a specialist, National Program Leader, and Program and Analysis Officer. Prior to joining NIFA, he worked for five years with Penn State Cooperative Extension, and before that he worked for five years with two different large agricultural corporations.
Bill received his Doctor of Education degree in Higher Education Administration from George Washington University in 2009. He holds a Master of Education degree in Instructional Systems (2002) and a Master of Business Administration degree (1992), both from Penn State. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology from Penn State in 1989.