Importance of Family Well-being
Family well-being is vital to thriving communities. Families who are able to make informed decisions, manage their basic needs, and tackle pressing human and community issues are better equipped to lead happy, healthy lives. A range of factors can affect family well-being, and investments in families contribute significantly to the social, psychological, and economic development of our nation.
The Division of Family & Consumer Sciences’ (DFCS) efforts to promote family well-being focus on traditional Family & Consumer Sciences programs in research, education, and extension including:
NIFA’s family well-being portfolio is critical to community vitality and supports Research & Evaluation.
In partnership with the Land-Grant University and Cooperative Extension System, DFCS supports research, education, and extension to empower all families to achieve optimal well-being and supports Research & Evaluation by:
- Fostering quality care, development, and support for families across the lifespan
- Enhancing family resource management and financial decision-making
- Promoting all aspects of nutrition and health literacy
- Improving residential living environments
- Strengthening community resilience