This page provides information and useful links for those interested in applying to the Veterinary Services Grant Program (VSGP). Included are instructions for signing up to receive an email notification when the VSGP Request for Applications (RFA) is released.
- Veterinary Services Grant Program Overview
- Veterinary Services Grant Program Rural Practice Enhancement Application Process Webinar
- Veterinary Services Grant Program Education, Extension, and Training Application Overview
VSGP staff will host two live FAQ sessions which will occur on:
March 10, 2022 from 3:00 – 4:00P.M. EST
Join ZoomGov Meeting:
Meeting ID: 161 437 2731
March 24, 2022 from 3:00 – 4:00 P.M. EST
Join ZoomGov Meeting
Meeting ID: 161 320 9308
FY 2022 AnnouncementPlease note that Grants.gov will be down for maintenance and unavailable for applicants on April 2 and 3, 2022.
Before You Start Your Application
Even before the RFA has been released, it is strongly recommended that you work through the steps below because this process can take up to 60 days. Therefore, it is important to start this process before the RFA is released to minimize system-related delays that could cause you to miss the application submission deadline.
- Determine if you are eligible to apply for a VSGP grant. Broad categories for eligibility can be found on the VSGP FAQs page.
- Request a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number. This is a free service. DUNS numbers will not be required after April 1, 2022.
- Register for a Unique Entity ID with the System for Award Management (SAMS) at the SAMS Website. Note that this registration process can take up to six weeks. Within SAMS you need to register as an entity doing business with the federal government, not just obtain an account. Please call their help desk (866-606-8220) if you encounter any difficulty and, if needed, ask them to guide you through the remaining steps.
- Register for a Grants.gov account. Anyone who has not applied for a federal grant through Grants.gov in the last 365 days will need to register. Directions for registering for a Grants.gov account for individuals and organizations (e.g., organizations like veterinary clinics, associations, universities, etc.). NOTE: For organizations, steps 2 & 3 above must be done first.
Preparing and Submitting Your ApplicationThese are the steps needed to apply for any NIFA grant. Some important items to remember include:
- Read all parts of the RFA thoroughly. Part IV outlines the application instructions and submission requirements.
- Application packages may be downloaded from Grants.gov once the RFA is released. Be sure your version of Adobe Reader is compatible with Grants.gov. For Adobe compatibility check the Grants.gov site.
- Read the "NIFA Grants.gov Application Guide" provided in the application package.
- Ensure ALL required forms are uploaded to complete the application package.
- All documents uploaded to Grants.gov MUST be in PDF format.
A NIFA training module that provides new applicants experience with using Grants.gov is available for assistance. Additional links to resources related to Grants.gov and applying for NIFA grants are provided below.
NIFA hosted a VSGP Applicant Webinar with a question and answer session for FY 2021 application cycle on February 17, 2021.
- Check out the VSGP Applicant Webinar recording.