A Stakeholder Input Opportunity
The National Institute of Food and Agriculture is accepting input from stakeholders regarding research, extension, and education priorities in food and agriculture. A series of four in-person listening sessions hosted in different regions across the country and submission of written comments will offer two ways to share your thoughts and ideas. Stakeholder input received from both methods will be treated equally.
This 2018 listening opportunity allows stakeholders to provide feedback on the following questions:
- When considering all of agriculture, what is the greatest challenge that should be addressed through NIFA’s research, education, and extension programs?
- In your field, what is the most-needed breakthrough in science/technology that would advance your agricultural enterprise? Breakthroughs result in transformative changes in knowledge, technology, or behavior.
- What is your top priority in food and agricultural research, extension, or education that NIFA should address?
NIFA wants to hear from you about priorities and opportunities in agricultural sciences. This will help inform NIFA on prioritizing science emphasis areas, identifying gaps in programming, and determining which programs are redundant or underperforming. Along with input from NIFA employees, your feedback gathered throughout the initiative will be used, in the context of NIFA’s current science emphasis areas, to identify gaps in current portfolios and potential investment opportunities.
To contribute your ideas online and to register for in-person listening sessions, fill out our input form. You have the option to give a five minute oral presentation and submit written content; however, it is not required to do both.
- Individuals wishing to attend in-person listening sessions must complete the RSVP in the input form. See RSVP deadlines below. If you are making a five minute oral presentation, you must submit a short 250 word abstract describing your topic.
- Submissions of written comments will be accepted through Friday, November 30, 2018. The input form is one opportunity to share written comments. Please take time to consider and clearly form your answers to the questions above before filling out the form. You will be allowed 250 words for each question. We recommend composing your answers to these questions in a separate document before filling out the form to make sure that you remain within the word limit. These responses should be thoughtfully constructed to reflect your personal or organizational priorities and emerging needs and opportunities in food and agricultural research, extension, and education. You may also submit written comments via NIFAlistens@usda.gov.
Four in-person listening sessions were held in 2018 in locations across the United States.
- Bond Ballroom, Hartford, Connecticut (Thursday, October 11, 2018)
- Four Points by Sheraton French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana (Thursday, October 18, 2018)
- Graduate Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Minnesota (Thursday, October 25, 2018)
- Crowne Plaza, Albuquerque, New Mexico (Thursday, November 1, 2018)
Transcripts & Recordings: Transcripts are available on the transcripts page. Recordings will be added when available.
For More Information
- Federal Register Notice, “Stakeholder Listening Opportunity for Priorities in Research, Education and Extension”
- Press Announcement, “USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture Seeks Stakeholder Input on Food, Agriculture Priorities”
- NIFA Listens Fact Sheet
- Reports, transcripts, and recordings from previous year efforts, NIFA Listens 2017
Still have questions? NIFAListens@usda.gov.