This page contains resources capacity grantees can use in managing their grants, including detailed information and resources on the equipment prior approval requirement for capacity grants.
- 7 CFR 3419 Final Rule - 1890 and Insular Area Matching Requirements - Published May 11, 2018
- Time and Effort Reporting — Uniform Guidance Compensation - Personnel Services Fact Sheet - UPDATED - April 20, 2018
- 1862 Land-Grant Colleges and Universities Grant Administrative and Fiscal Requirements
- 1890 Land-Grant Colleges and Universities Grant Administrative and Fiscal Requirements
- Insular Area Grant Administrative and Fiscal Requirements
Prior Approval for Equipment
Prior approval from NIFA is required before expenditures are incurred for:
- General purpose equipment costing $10,000 or more and having a useful life of more than one year; and
- Special purpose equipment costing $250,000 or more and having a useful life of more than one year. (Prior approval is waived for special purpose equipment costing less than $250,000.)
What is Prior Approval?
- Requested in advance of expenditure
- Requested and approved in writing
- Includes item name, description/purpose, estimated or actual cost, and estimated useful life (please note - construction requests may require additional information. For more details, submit email to email@example.com)
- Specific to an individual grant
- Required if item meets the definition of equipment, regardless of whether it is being purchased by multiple funding sources
Submitting Prior Approval Requests
Grantees can submit prior approval requests via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests will be reviewed and responded to within 30 days from receipt of complete information. Approvals will be sent via email to the Authorized Representative submitting the request. Expedited review may be requested. Prior approval requests that are deemed construction or capital expenditure related may require additional review by external departments and exceed the 30-day threshold. Additional documentation may also be required at the expense of the recipient.
This page contains definitions of equipment, general purpose equipment, and special purpose equipment.
- Frequently Asked Questions - UPDATED June 29, 2023
- Equipment Request Template 1 (Table) - UPDATED December 3, 2018
- Equipment Request Submission checklist - UPDATED June 29, 2023
- Equipment Request Sample - UPDATED December 3, 2018
- Equipment Prior Approval Information Sheet
- 2 CFR 200
- NIFA Federal Assistance Policy Guide
- Capacity Program Terms and Conditions